Toxins To Watch Out For In Your New Home

Toxins-to-Watch-out-for-in-your-home

There is no place like home – home is where we all return to at the end of a long day, home is where we feel warm, a sanctuary that rejuvenates before facing the world. It’s no brainer that we all want this place to be peaceful, safe, and free from harmful toxins. You get home spray some air freshener to freshen up and change the scent of your home, and then you calmly take a deep breath to inhale the fresh scent only for you to take in some volatile organic compounds (VOCs) without knowing. Unfortunately, VOCs are substances that can irritate your eyes, throat, and nose, damage your central nervous system leading to carcinogenic.

According to research by the World Health Organization in 2010 shows that 3.8 million premature deaths every year from noncommunicable diseases like lung cancer, chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases, and stroke, are caused by household air pollution. So, if you want to know the toxins you should get rid of in your home today, read on:

  1. Asbestos

If you have a home or moving to a home that was built between 1930 and 1980, then you need to be aware of potential health risk that is related to asbestos exposure. Asbestos widely used in construction throughout the United States and inhaling asbestos fibers may lead to the lining of the lungs, heart, and mesothelioma.

  1. Radon

According to U.S. Surgeon General’s Office, their study shows that Radon as caused about 20,000 lung cancer deaths each year. Radon is an odorless, tasteless and invisible gas that is caused by the breakdown of uranium in the soil. About 15 homes in the United States is estimated to have radon levels, so if yours is part of them then contact your state’s radon office for a solution.

  1. Mold

Mold is common, and a lot of people are sensitive to it. Mold can cause coughing, throat irritation, wheezing, nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, and in some cases cause skin irritation. According to Ann Shippy, M.D., an environmental toxicity expert, says “timing is everything when it comes to mold because the sooner you catch it, the easier it is to fix.” “You have to open up walls, roofs, and spaces to get it out.”

  1. Dust Mites

You will probably clean wash everything you have in your home after reading this. According to CDC researchers “fecal pellets deposited by the mites accumulated in home fabrics and could become airborne via domestic activities such as vacuuming and dusting, resulting in inhalation by the inhabitants of the home.” Dust mites are tiny and bare eyes can see them, but as tiny as they are, they can cause you a lot of problems. Your mattress alone can hold anywhere from 100,000 to more than one million mites, as they feed off your dead skin.

  1. Lead

Lead is another dangerous toxin that can be found n homes, especially the ones built around 1978. Places where leads can be found in windows, stairs, railings, banisters, window sills, doors, door frames, and porches, making them vital places to inspect.